We have a rich heritage and an exciting future – from the creation of Coca‑Cola in 1886 to being recognised as an industry leader by the Dow Jones Sustainability Indices today.
Early years: 1886-1899
- Coca‑Cola is created by John S Pemberton in 1886 and served at Jacob’s Pharmacy
- By 1895, Coca‑Cola is sold and consumed in every state in the US
- In 1899 the rights to bottle Coca‑Cola are sold by Asa Candler to Benjamin F Thomas and Joseph B Whitehead of Chattanooga, Tennessee for $1
Nigerian Bottling Company Ltd (NBC) is incorporated in November 1951, as a subsidiary of the A.G. Leventis Group with the franchise to bottle and sell products of The Coca‑Cola Company in Nigeria.
Two years later in 1953, the production of Coca‑Cola begins at a bottling facility in Ebute-Metta, Lagos State. In the same year the company opens its first bottling plant in Apapa.
NBC becomes a member of the newly formed Coca‑Cola Hellenic Bottling Company S.A. (an anchor bottling group with operations in 28 countries worldwide.)
The first ultramodern fully automated NBC plant is commissioned in Benin in 2001.
- Coca‑Cola HBC is listed on the NYSE through a sponsored ADR programme
- We acquire mineral water companies Valser in Switzerland and Dorna Apemin in Romania
- We acquire bottling operations in the Baltics
- Our FTSE4Good listing is confirmed against stricter social and environmental criteria
2003 - 2007
NBC launches the Five Alive juice brand in 2003; PET packaging for its Sparkling Soft Drinks category in 2004; and 33Cl Can in 2007.
NBC introduces the more environmentally friendly ‘Ultra’ glass packaging for its Returnable Glass Bottle product segments.
- Coca‑Cola HBC is included in the Dow Jones Sustainability Indices for the first time
- We acquire the Southern Italy Coca‑Cola bottling operations, Socib
- We launch our external stakeholder panel
- We commit to rolling out further Combined Heat and Power plants which will reduce the CO2 from our bottling operations by more than 20 percent
In November 2011, NBC becomes the first company in Nigeria to receive the Food Safety System (FSSC 22000) certification.
125 years of Coca‑Cola
In 2011, Coca‑Cola celebrates 125 years of refreshing the world
- We complete construction of wastewater treatment plants, ensuring that 100 percent of our wastewater is treated
- All our plants are certified to ISO 9001
- Coca‑Cola HBC lists among the top three most sustainable Food & Beverage companies according to the FTSE Group, based on environmental, social and governance criteria
- CCHBC announces the redomiciliation of our holding company to Switzerland and our intention to list on the London Stock Exchange
- The Group Coca‑Cola HBC achieves a premium listing on the London Stock Exchange
- CCHBC completes a share exchange offer
- CCHBC is listed first in Europe and second in the world among beverage companies, according to the Dow Jones Sustainability Indices
Nigerian Bottling Company celebrates 65 years of refreshing Nigerians.
In September 2019, the NBC manufacturing plant in Ikeja, Lagos was presented with the prestigious ‘Alliance for Water Stewardship' (AWS) Gold Certification. The Ikeja plant now holds the record of the first site in Africa to receive this certification.